Wednesday, June 30, 2010

About Me

When you're as old as I am, 1200 characters doesn't cut it, so while I've managed to simply post lists in the About Me section, I thought a traditional narrative bio might be in order:

This is my tenth ninth year as a dramaturg/Associate Artist with the Sundance Theatre Lab. My work as a dramaturg has been represented on Broadway by the musical Passing Strange, which received the Tony Award for Best Book of a Musical and was recognized by multiple Tony, Drama Desk, and NY Critics Circle nominations and awards. Other Sundance projects include The Evildoers by David Adjmi, Equal Measure by Tanya Barfield, Citizen Josh by Josh Kornbluth, and After the War by Philip Kan Gotanda.

Before I moved to the DC area, I lived in Seattle, where I was the production dramaturg for several plays directed by Tony Award-winning director Bartlett Sher, including Cymbeline, Homebody/Kabul by Tony Kushner, Nickel and Dimed by Joan Holden, based on the best-selling book by Barbara Ehrenreich, Titus Andronicus and Craig Lucas’ The Dying Gaul. I also got to work with Kate Whoriskey on her stunning production of Ionesco’s The Chairs.

I turged Pamela Gien’s The Syringa Tree (Obie Award for Best Play), Nilo Cruz’ The Beauty of the Father, five productions of Intiman’s annual presentation of Langston Hughes’ Black Nativity and five years of the Seattle Rep/Hedgebrook Women Playwrights Festival, where I was fortunate to work with Eisa Davis and Cherrie Moraga.

I was the Artistic Director of the Magic Theatre in San Francisco and of the Bay Area Playwrights Festival. I had the great good fortune to be the first to develop and produce the work of Nilo Cruz, winner of the 2003 Pulitzer Prize for Drama. While at the Magic, I provided an artistic home for Mr. Cruz, Marlane Meyer, Jon Robin Baitz, Octavio Solis, Roger Guenveur Smith, Claire Chafee and Joseph Chaikin. I produced the world premieres of Night Train to Bolina and A Park in Our House by Nilo Cruz, A Huey P. Newton Story, written and performed by Roger Guenveur Smith (Peabody Award), Topographical Eden by Brighde Mullins, and Pieces of the Quilt, a collection of short plays about living with HIV/AIDS by Migdalia Cruz, Philip Kan Gotanda, Danny Hoch, Naomi Iizuka, Octavio Solis, Erin Cressida Wilson and Lanford Wilson. Pieces of the Quilt was funded entirely through a sold-out benefit featuring performances by Peter Coyote, Cheech Marin and Robin Williams.

At Berkeley Rep, I was dramaturg for the premieres of Quincy Long's The Virgin Molly, Jose Rivera's Each Day Dies with Sleep, and Laurence Yep's Dragonwings. Going even further back, I was Director of New Play Development at the Los Angeles Theatre Center, where I got to work with Thomas Babe, Donald Margulies (Pulitzer Prize), Anna Deavere Smith, Darrah Cloud and Marlane Meyer (Peabody Award).

No comments:

Post a Comment